The first one I had up there focused on how the Monster Teddy Bear was created, and why he was chosen by his human. But I've realized that that's only the opening premise of the story, and not the actual center of conflict for the storyline.
So today, I rewrote it. I also finally decided what he actually looks like, and I also settled on a name -- the one that he would've originally had, if he'd come out normal, and got put on store shelves with a proper label, and everything (I'm not sure if that's the name my human character would give him, or not. But it might be the name he starts out with, in his own head... I imagine the naming of toys is a bit like the naming of cats); the toy designers/marketers had intended him to be part of their "Country Cousins" line, aimed at the "Grandmother Market," so I tried to think of a name that ad-writers would think sounded like Old-Fashioned Farm Boy. I'm not sure of "Alfonse," but I like the backwardness of the initials Z. A. Maybe Zachery Amos would be better?
Anyway, here it is:
So today, I rewrote it. I also finally decided what he actually looks like, and I also settled on a name -- the one that he would've originally had, if he'd come out normal, and got put on store shelves with a proper label, and everything (I'm not sure if that's the name my human character would give him, or not. But it might be the name he starts out with, in his own head... I imagine the naming of toys is a bit like the naming of cats); the toy designers/marketers had intended him to be part of their "Country Cousins" line, aimed at the "Grandmother Market," so I tried to think of a name that ad-writers would think sounded like Old-Fashioned Farm Boy. I'm not sure of "Alfonse," but I like the backwardness of the initials Z. A. Maybe Zachery Amos would be better?
Anyway, here it is:
(Begin)
Zachery Alfonse didn't know how he came to be the strange bear he was -- none of the toys did. Only Old Steam 'n Stitch, the oldest assembly machine on the floor of the Fluffy Hearts Ltd. toy factory knew for sure... And Old Steam had been shipped to the city museum the day after Zachery was born.
Zachery didn't really mind the fact that he had big duck feet instead of bear paws, that his left ear was like a rabbit's, or that his snout was like a crocodile's -- all full of felt teeth. Sure, his looks had almost gotten him thrown into the Recalls Bin, and other toys assumed he was as mixed up in the mind as he was in his body, so it was harder to make friends. But Sally Rose chose to take him home. And he could scare away the Night Shadows faster than any other toy.
Just when he and the others were all starting to get along, however, the announcement came that The Holidays were coming, and Mother was taking Sally (And Sally was taking Zachery, and Crayon Box) to stay with Strange Aunt Julia until the New Year. The Whole Family was going to be there, in Julia's big, old, House.
And the House was strange -- even Zachery thought so. What secret does the house know, and what message is it trying to send, before the family has its last big party, and everyone goes their separate ways?
(end)